Skip to content
Face Mask Instructions
- This mask should be used as a complement to the recommended protection and hygiene measures and to the rules of social distancing, which are fundamental for the control of COVID-19. For more information, see covid19.min-saude.pt
- The reusable mask must be handled correctly. Follow the recommended instructions for the correct use of the mask, according to DGS Guidance (nº 019/2020 of 03/04/2020):
a) Wash hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based solution before putting on the mask;
b) Place the mask with the inner side towards the face and the outer side facing out;
c) Adjust the rigid end of the mask to the nose, covering the mouth, nose and chin with the mask, making sure that there are no spaces between the face and the mask;
d) You should not touch the mask while it is in use; if this happens, hand hygiene must be performed immediately;
e) It is recommended that you use each mask for a maximum period of 4 hours a day, replacing with a new one at the end of that period or as soon as it becomes damp. The removed mask must be washed before being used again;
f) If you accidentally get your mask wet, replace it with a dry one as soon as possible. The wet mask must be washed before being used again;
g) Removal of the mask should be done from the back (not touching the front of the mask), holding the ties or elastic;
h) The mask must be placed individually in a closed plastic bag, until it is placed in the washing machine;
i) Hand hygiene must be performed again at the end of the use and handling of the mask
- The mask should be washed before each use, and after the 10 washing cycles indicated in the package leaflet, the mask’s cycle will end.
- Mask protection is only guaranteed if these cleaning and care instructions are followed.
- The mask must be stored in a dry environment and protected from potential contamination.
- The mask must be washed before its first use.
- In case of defect or damage do not use the mask, replace it with another one.
- At the end of the mask’s life cycle, you should wash the mask under the conditions defined in the “conservation and cleaning” section and after washing it must be discarded as non-hazardous textile waste. If you choose not to wash the mask you should discard it as biological waste.
Explanatory mask placement pictogram
Explanatory mask removal pictogram
Mask use limitations
- “This is not a medical device. It does not comply with surgical mask regulation (regulation EU / 2017/745) or personal protective equipment regulation (regulation EU / 2016/425) ”.
- The mask should be used well dry after washing. The wet / damp mask decreases the protection of the mask.
- The mask may only be worn by someone else after washing.
- If you accidentally get your mask wet, replace it with a dry one as soon as possible. The wet mask must be washed before being used again.
- At the end of the recommended daily use or whenever you return home, the mask must be washed before being used again.